It’s two weeks before Tyler’s 1st birthday. With the end of the school year on the horizon, it’s an especially busy time in our household. I’m busy finishing up report cards, packing up my classroom, getting the older berries squared away with the last finishing touches of the year. And this year…also planning a party. Needless to say, I wanted to get started on this right away.
So this weekend I spent some time on Pinterest and preparing. The two things I focused on were for his 1st Birthday Photo shoot: The Cake and The outfit.
He’s only going to be one once, so I wanted to make it memorable. I decided to go the route of the smash cake giant cupcake. Since I’ve never made one before, I decided to make one ahead of time. If I’m spending the time on photos, I want the cake to be photo worthy. I found a great tutorial on Phanessa’s Crafts.
I’m really glad I tested the cake out ahead of time. Things I found:
- There was too much cake batter, which equaled huge mess in my oven. I will definitely be cutting down on the batter next time.
- The last person in my house to use our frosting contraption broke it. Good thing I found this out with time to spare.
Other than that, I think I’m ready to rock this cake in two weeks!
I saw some adorable outfits for first birthdays on Pinterest and Etsy, but I really didn’t want to pay a bundle for an outfit that was going to be destroyed. So I used the photos as my inspiration and made my own birthday onesies. I made two: one for the cake smash and one for the party.
How I did it:
Materials: Plain white onesie, bowtie (I found two at Goodwill for $1.50 a piece ~ Score!), iron-on T-shirt transfers, ribbon, glue stick
- Find a number printable you like on the Internet.
- Follow the t-shirt transfer directions to print it on your transfers (I had to make sure I did the reflection)
- I used my hot glue gun to glue on the tie, two ribbons on the side to mimick suspenders.
- I glued the iron on transfer, trying to make sure it was slightly above centered.
I can’t wait to see how cute he looks in two weeks! Now I just hope he doesn’t grow too much!